I love to organize and get things done, and the most satisfying thing is crossing something off a list. It makes me feel accomplished and proud, and usually leaves me wanting to do more. I decided to make a travel goals/bucket list for this abroad trip and for life. I will electronically cross off items as I accomplish them, and I’m sure I’ll continue to add throughout my travels.
January-April 2015: Semester-long goals (happy to say I completed all of these!)
- Send out a blog post approximately once a week.
- Form individual relationships with every person on my program, including the traveling staff.
- Learn the basics of each language and try to improve my vocabulary throughout each country (except the basics of Spanish – I’ve taken it for 5 semesters, hopefully way past the basics, so I really want to solidify my speaking skills in Argentina).
- Try lots of new foods, especially if I won’t have the chance to have them at home.
- Cook with each of my host families at least once.
- Don a traditional outfit in each country.
- Do something really touristy in each country
- Do something crazily spontaneous in each country.
- Visit areas outside of our main location.
- Visit at least a few museums in each country.
- See the Mardi Gras floats
Go out with friends to local bars/clubs Do something crazy on Bourbon Street See a King Cake/beignets Listen to live jazz music
Eat pho Ride a motorbike
- Run around a beautiful lake (but too much smog…
does a rice paddy count?) Visit the Temple of Literature and Ha Long Bay Hang out with Vietnamese students Go to a Vietnamese club (do they exist?) [update: it’s mostly karaoke] Ride bikes Visit a Buddhist temple
Hike Table Mountain See wild animals (from afar) in Kruger National Park. Explore Cape Townand Johannesburg Go on a really long hike with friends (many!) Safari?? (twice!!)
Drink mate Take Tango lessons Go out until the wee hours of the morning Speak only Spanish with host family
- Go wine tasting